What is plain language?
Our introduction says it all: the aim of plain language is to make content accessible and easy to understand and to enable unhindered participation in our information society. Various media companies and public bodies are already setting a good example by offering news articles, informational materials or brochures in plain language.
Our experts can translate your documents according to the rules of plain language for target groups including the following:
- People with learning difficulties or cognitive impairments
- Older people or those with dementia
- People with a low level of English
- People with reading and writing difficulties
What are the rules for using plain language?
We adhere to the rules of the European advocacy group for people with impairments, Inclusion Europe, and to generally accepted rules in English-speaking countries.
We therefore replace technical terms and foreign words with familiar expressions and simplify complicated sentence constructions (e.g. by keeping things short, using active sentences, and avoiding both the subjunctive mood and figurative language). In addition, we can advise you on the structure, format and layout of your text (it is important, for example, to use colours correctly, to leave a generous amount of space between lines or to have clearly visible headings).
How does Interlingua go about translating into plain, easy-to-read language?
First, we work with you to determine who your target group is, check your source text and draw up a plan for how to process it. Since the language level of these groups is very diverse, we normally draw on language levels A1 to B1 of the European Framework of Reference.
- A1: Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very simple phrases aimed at satisfying specific needs.
- A2: Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions connected to highly relevant topics.
- B1: Can understand the main points when clear standard language is used and when dealing with familiar topics connected to work, school, leisure, etc.
With Interlingua, you can transform your texts from the source language into plain language or translate them into a specific foreign language. Currently, we can translate your texts into easy-to-read German, English, French, Spanish and Italian.